Really great news, happy to see the labels !
0.5.1 and Merry Christmas! 🎄🎄🎄
I wanted to release something before the Holidays, but didn't have enough time to implement anything epic. So there is nothing epic in this update, just small improvements :)
- Labels. Checking this "style" option makes ward labels visible without holding the spacebar. Also when it's checked, all the labels get exported along with the rest of the map (works both for PNG and SVG).
- More roads. That's the name of a new layout option. Checking this one turns a regular town into a transport hub! It doesn't look too realistic (a small town may have up to 6 city gates, more for medium and large ones), but hopefully someone will find a use for it. This feature is a byproduct of reworking my gates generation algorithm, which works better now.
- Shared courtyards. Until now I removed a small number of lots to make a map less dense, they were supposed to represent undeveloped patches of land, tiny squares etc . Now these random empty spaces are replaced with "shared courtyards", areas which are not accessible from streets. This kind of layout is more realistic in my opinion.
- Streets and houses shapes generation improved. It's ridiculous how much time I've spent on a large number of fixes to achieve so little, but nevertheless I do think alleys patterns and houses (when "house view" is checked) got better. These improvements also affect castles, temples and farms.
- Rerolling wards. You can regenerate a ward by command+clicking it. The ward will keep its type and shape, but its inner structure will change randomly. It can be useful if you are satisfied with an overall view of a map, but don't like some particular building shapes.
- All layout parameters are stored in URL. It should make map sharing more convenient, but it still works only with non-itch.io version (http://fantasycities.watabou.ru/).
There are some other changes, but they are too small to mention.
❄️ Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! ❄️